A defense attorney is one who defends the rights of different sorts of criminals that range anywhere from DWI and drug dealers to murderers. Despite the fact that most people view lawyers with disdain, defense lawyers have a very important role to play in the society. Every person has a right to a fair and just trial and the responsibility of a defense attorney is to see to it that the criminals get it.
However, for a case to be a success or get the best possible outcome, you need to ensure you find the very best criminal defense attorney in Houston. There are so many law firms in Houston with numerous defense attorneys but not all of them care about the clients or whatever will happen to the case. Herein are some attributes of a great defense attorney that can be trusted.
A professional defense attorney will have integrity at a high level. They will be honest with their client, keep them informed about the case and the progress they make and tell them the possible outcome of the case.
2. Research skills
An expert defense attorney will be able to conduct thorough research about the case and everything around it. They understand that work begins well before going to court and they are willing to visit and re-visit the crime scene, scrutinize witness testimonies and go through all the necessary paperwork in order to gather all the information they can. In most cases, something is usually overlooked and seasoned defense attorneys find it, eliminating any chance of a surprise in court.
3. They possess great negotiating skills
Numerous cases settle out of court where prosecutors and defense negotiate an agreement. A professional attorney will make sure a client gets the best possible deal.
During a defense case, a lot of things change and the lawyer has to make last minute decisions, take risks and adapt to their plan. For them to succeed, they must be confident in their skills and ability to readjust to situations and manipulate them to the favor of the client. They will be well prepared with the information they got during the research and they will be confident with all the decisions they make.
5. An analytical mind
Competent defense attorneys question absolutely everything. They look at every angle, turn every stone and consider every possibility that will win them the case.
6. Put their client first
This is a very important quality in an attorney because they have to be ready to put the client first. All information will be kept confidential, the client safety will be a top priority and the attorney, better than anyone else, will understand how much the case will impact the client’s life.
What to Expect From a Professional Defense Attorney
When you are facing criminal charges that are possibly going to land you in jail, you need to hire the best defense attorney in Houston. A competent attorney will do everything possible to make sure the case gets the best possible outcome without overlooking any detail.
· The attorney will work with you and negotiate plea bargains with the prosecutor in order to reduce the sentence or eliminate some charges.
· They will find a great sentencing program for the case. If the client is found guilty, the attorney will work the sentence in a way that will prevent the client from going back to the criminal justice system. For instance, instead of spending a year in prison, a client with a drug problem could spend half of that time in a treatment facility.
· Give their clients a reality check because they know everything that is happening and everything that will likely happen depending on the case. This way, they can advise whether to accept or refuse a plea bargain the prosecutor is offering.
· They will lay everything on the table without sugar coating anything and tell the client the effects of all decisions and all the possible case scenarios. For instance, if a client chooses to plead guilty in order to face a shorter sentence, they will have a hard time finding a job after the sentence.
· They will hire investigators to not only look into the alleged crime but into the prosecutor witnesses to find anything that could discredit them and their testimonies.
· They will make it easier to get information or statements from witnesses because people fear to get involved in crime cases, for fear of their safety.
With all these reasons, you can see the perks that come with hiring a professional defense attorney for a criminal case. Regardless of what the charges are, may it be DWI, drug cases or other types of defense cases, a competent Houston defense attorney such as the team here at Vinas & Graham will help you in preparing to defend your rights in court.